St. GabrielPoway, CA
This project includes a new 1000-seat Catholic sanctuary situated on a rural, hilly site located in Poway, California. The site was once home to a Native American tribe, whose artifacts are preserved in the central portion of the site. In order to merge with the existing buildings and complete a unified campus composition, the new church will face the existing buildings and meet at a common gathering plaza linked by a linear promenade also serving as fire truck access. The existing buildings were reversed allowing the building entries to face the new promenade walk that links the existing buildings with the new church.
The church is designed to resemble an old Mission, and therefore incorporates 5 large copper bells in the front façade. The worship space is a cruciform gathered around a central altar anchored by a lantern and cross in the roof above. Heavy wood beams, stenciling, and traditional mission style décor including a replica of an ancient retablo adorn the interior. Other master plan developments include an expansion to the administrative offices, a youth center, and a remodel of the old church to become a new social hall.
Hyndman & Hyndman provided architectural and interior design services including the liturgical furnishings designs.